Blood Orange and Dates Muffins
Still in the citrus theme, I made muffins using whole blood oranges and medjool dates and dusted them with powdered sugar when they cooled after baking. This is one of the oranges I created for the food photography online challenge, but ended up submitting something else.
I make these by mixing the orange, dates, juice etc (the wet ingredients) in the food processor, and add them to the flour (dry mixture) when ready to bake. I usually make them in two or three different size: small one bite muffins, regular size and smaller cupcake size.
Blood orange muffins with dates
1 blood orange, cut into chunks, seeds removed
3/4 cup orange juice, either from blood oranges or regular
6 dates, pitted and chopped
1 egg or vegan egg replacer
1/3 cup oil
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup brown sugar
- Place the cut up orange in a food processor together with dates, egg and oil and mix to combine.
- Place flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar in a large bowl.
- Pour orange mixture into the flour mixture and mix with a spatula until combined. Do not over mix, batter should be lumpy.
- Using an ice cream scoop. spoon the mixture into lightly greased muffin tins or into muffin paper cups.
- Bake in a 350F oven for 25 minutes or until done.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. When cool, dust with powdered sugar or make a light cream cheese topping by whipping cream cheese with a bit of whipping cream, sugar and vanilla and adding a little blood orange juice to colour the frosting pink.