Nut Swiss Roll
A couple of cake rolls from the holidays, actually it’s one with two different topping cut in two (to accommodate allergies). You can do this in an hour start to finish, very easy. There is no flour here, just ground nuts.
Nut Swiss RollCourse: All Recipes, Desserts, Resources
1 cup ground nuts, one kind or mixed
14 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
4 egg whites
A pinch cream of tartar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup mascarpone, softened to room temperature.
- Combine nuts, sugar and baking powder in a bowl.
- Beat yolks with sugar until fluffy.
- Combine yolks with nut mixture.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar and sugar, add the sugar slowly once the whites glossy. add a teaspoon at a time, not all at once.
- Fold the meringue into the egg-nut mixture in 3-4 additions until the whites are incorporated and the butter is light and without streaks. Do not deflate by mixing, just fold with a spatula lifting from bottom and sides
- Scoop batter onto parchment lined baking sheet that you sprayed with baking spray.
- Bak at 350F 15-17 min until golden on top and lightly springs back to the touch.
- Place a towel or parchment on the counter and dust with an even layer of powdered sugar.
- Turn the cake sheet over the towel and gently peel off the baking parchment.
- Dust the cake with powdered sugar and slowly roll it up from the narrow end with the help of the towel.
- Let it cool wrapped in the towel or parchment.
- Whip the cream and sugar, add the softened mascarpone
- To fill unroll the cake and spread with whipped cream and mascarpone.
- Roll the cake back into a log.
- You can spread more whipped cream over or glaze with a chocolate glaze or another glaze.
- Garnish with additional ground nuts.