Roasted cauliflower with Harissa and Honey
A little early in the day for dinner but i am submitting an image to an online contest and wanted to have the recipe posted with it.
Roasted cauliflower is one of my all time favourites. Easy to make it pays you back with loads of flavour and it takes well to different flavour profiles.
I roast the cauli in florets, cauli “steaks” from the center cut or even roast it and serve it whole In the image above I cut two steaks out of the center and broke the rest into florets and roasted them alongside.
As the dressing I combined harissa that I bought from a spice shop on Queen St. in toronto The Spice Trader. I mixed some harissa with olive oil and honey and brushed it over the cauliflower, then roasted it at 425 until it was done.
Harissa is a dry blend of North African spices. It often contains of paprika, cumin, coriander, salt, garlic, caraway and allepo pepper. The dry spice mix is made into a paste with olive oil, lemon juice and a little honey (honey is not traditional). It’s a delicious if a bit spicy mixture that is useful in adding flavour to vegetables, on bread, in dressings, to garnish dips like hummus, make cauli “wings” etc.
Roasted cauliflower “steaks” with harissa
1 head cauliflower
2 tablespoons harissa spice mix
3 tablespoons good olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
Juice of 1/2 a lemon or a small lime
Salt as needed
2 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley.
Salt and pepper
- Cut the cauliflower either into steaks through the core (the core keeps the florets intact) or break the cauli into medium size florets. Yo could probably get 2-3 “steaks and a bunch of florets (see image), depending on the size of your cauli.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and place the cauli on the sheet.
- With a spoon smear the harissa paste over the cauli, turning it over and rubbing it on the other side.
- Roast in a 425F oven until the cauli is golden and done but not mushy. Test by inserting a knife into the core to test the “give”.
- When the cauli is golden and cooked through remove from oven and arrange on a platter to serve.
- You can serve it with yogurt (regular or vegan).
- While the cauli is roasting heat the 2 teaspoon oil in a small skillet. Add the bread crumb and pine nuts and cook until toasted and golden. Remove from heat and add the parsley, a little salt and pepper. Use to sprinkle over the cooked cauli when serving, to add a crunchy element and flavour.