Lavender-lemon bundt cake
The Okanagan is prime location for growing many produce and herbs, lavender included. There is lavender everywhere you look and it grows beautifully on our rooftop patio as well. It is a pretty, fragrant herb and I love getting a whiff of its scent as I reach over it to work in my garden. Lavender fields are a sight to behold. If you have ever seen them in France you know what I mean. I love the scent of lavender on linen and as a bath soap, It has a clean, refreshing quality about it and gives a sense of indulgence, and I am all about indulging:)
This is an easy cake, fragrant with lavender blossoms and scented with lemon rind. You can make a glaze for it or keep it plain. I like having a nice and simple cake on the kitchen counter where anyone can slice a piece to enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee. If you’d like to elevate it to dessert serve it with a pile of berries, whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream.
Lavender-lemon bundt cakeCourse: All Recipes, Desserts
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
A pinch of fine salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup oil
2 tablespoons lavender blossoms
Grated rind of 1 lemon
1 cup icing sugar
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice plus enough water to make a pouring consistency.
A small drop of violet food colouring
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Combine eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl and mix with hand mixer until light and doubled in sizes
- Add oil to buttermilk.
- Begin mixing in the flour on low speed, alternating with the buttermilk mixture.
- Fold in the lavender and lemon rind.
- Pour into a well greased bundt pan and bake at 350F for about 4-45 min or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for a few minutes.
- Carefully turn over onto a rack to finish cooling.
- When the cake is cold pour the glaze over, or leave plain.
- Combine sugar and lemon juice, adding just a drop or two of water if needed to create a pouring consistency
- Add a tiny drop of the food colouring and mix it in.
- Pour over the cooled cake.