So I used the taco shells from the other day to make these tacos. Instead of beans I used shitake mushrooms and cauliflower, both chopped fine and sauteed so they looked like ground “meat”. Topping was aa simple pickled slaw, fresh tomatoes and queso fresco. Mexican crema is nice with it too. you can more “stuff”, I kept it fairly simple.
- Tortillas – flour or corn
- Mushroom-Cauliflower Filling
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 an onion, chopped
8 large shitake mushrooms
1/2 a cauliflower
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (walnuts, pumpkin seeds, pistachios)
A handful of chopped parsley
2 teaspoons sumac
1 tablespoon chilli powder (check the spice level and adjust)
- Pickled Slaw
2 cups shredded cabbage, green and red
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
Mayo mixed with hot chilli sauce to taste
Queso fresco or feta cheese, crumbles
Crema or sour cream
Fresh lime wedges
- Mushroom-Cauliflwer Filling
- Dice mushrooms and chop cauli fine.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, add onion and cook until it softens .
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring now and then, until cooked through and beginning to turn golden.
- Add cauliflower and cook together for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 2 teaspoons of sumac and 1 tablespoon chilli powder. If the mixture is too dry add a bit of water.
- Cook until mixed and fragrant.
- Turn heat off and keep warm.
- Add a handful of chopped parsley.
- Pickled Slaw
- Shred the cabbages and place in a bowl.
- Warm up the dressing ingredients in the microwave to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour the warm dressing over the cabbage and mix.
- To Serve
- Spoon the filling into each tortilla, top with spiced mayo and slaw. Drizzle hot sauce and top with sour cream or cream if you wish. Add fresh cilantro and a squirt of lime.