Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with quick flatbread
Two hummus recipes in a row but that’s how it goes. One was so good I had to make one more but this time I had roasted peppers and added them to the mix. I also made a different flatbread, a very simple one with no yeast so it does not require rising time. I added a teaspoon of baking powder to lighten it up. It’s not vegan though, as I use yogurt instead of water for a bit of tangy notes.
Bragging rights: I made the platter in the image myself at a pottery class at Blue Apple Studio under the tutelage of artist par excellence Shelley Bauer.
Red Pepper hummus
2 cups chickpeas, home cooked or canned
1/3 cup tahini paste
1 red pepper, roasted, peeled, seeds removed
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/3 cup water, as needed
- Place chickpeas in the blender.
- Add tahini paste, lemon juice, salt and garlic.
- Add roasted pepper
- Add the water and begin blending, adding only as much water as needed to create a smooth paste. The red pepper adds moisture and the Vitamix works miracles with the texture.
- Spoon the hummus onto a plate and swirl it around with the back of the spoon creating a ridge on the outside to contain the oil.
- Drizzle the center with olive oil, sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and chopped cilantro or parsley.
- Serve with flatbread.
Quick no yeast flatbread
Quick Flat Bread
2 cups flour
2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup yogurt
A little oil for brushing
- Place flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl, mix and make a well in the center.
- Add the yogurt and mix with a spoon until the flour and yogurt are mixed.
- Scrape onto the counter and knead about 3 minutes until the dough is more or less smooth.
- Divide the dough into 6-8 pieces and roll each into a circle or whatever shape works for you.
- Heat a cast iron skillet until very hot
- Brush the top of one piece with a touch of oil, not much, and place oiled side down in the hot skillet.
- Cook until the top is puffed and the bottom browned in spots.
- Flip over once and cook until it’s browned in spots on the bottom.
- Remove and keep warm, or serve them on the go,