Quick Microwave Molten Chocolate Cake in a Cup/Mug – it works
I saw this microwave molten chocolate cake in a mug online and was intrigued by it. The recipe on these sites is identical so I am not sure where the original comes from. I made it once and had to tweak it just a bit the second time.
- To bake this in one cup use a 16 oz cup with a wide mouth. Note that this produced a rather large serving so unless you are really hungry for chocolate cake, I suggest baking it in two 8 oz cups.
- I reduced the 2 minute cooking time the original recipe called for. Two minutes cooked the cake right through, it was still good but had the texture of a brownie without a molten center. When I baked it in a one large cup it took 70 seconds in my microwave to retain the soft center. When I baked the cake in a smaller 8 oz cup 45 seconds was enough (I cooked each cup separately).
- The cake should just begin to pull away from the sides of the mug when it’s done. Don’t overcook it.
- I added a little baking powder and a tablespoon of hot tap water to lighten the batter up a bit.
- Instead of mixing the chocolate into the batter I spooned it on top of the batter in the the mug before baking and it sank into place as it cooked.
- If you bake it in two separate cups mix the batter in a separate glass dish and then pour it into the two 8 oz cups.
- The cake will rise to the top of the cup as it cooks and will then sink slightly.
You can prepare the batter a few hours in advance and keep refrigerated but bake it only at the last minute. If you bake it cold it may take a few extra seconds to cook. The cake rises to the top of the mug and leaves chocolate footprints as it settles. You can wipe the inside rim of the mug with a wet paper towel for a cleaner presentation.
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
A pinch os coarse salt
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil or melted butter
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoons hot tap water
3 tablespoons milk chocolate or semi sweet chocolate, chopped
If you you bake it in two cups mix the batter in a small glass bowl. For one serving mix the batter in the 16 oz mug.
Place flour, sugar cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a glass bowl.
Add eggs, milk, oil (or butter) and vanilla and stir the batter until smooth.
Stir in the hot tap water.
Divide the batter between two 8 oz mugs or cups (2 cups capacity, wide mouth)
Spoon the chocolate on top of the batter in the cup.
Cook one cup at a time in the microwave for about 45 seconds for the smaller cups, 70 seconds for the large cup. The cake should pull from the side slightly and have a runny center.
Let sit for a few minutes before serving.
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream, a drizzle of caramel or fresh berries.